When milk rice is a favorite dish of half the family (just like here), you need to learn how to prepare it by enjoying your loved ones with it even in summer. After some experiments, we found that something very good happens if you add a packet of vanilla sugar to milk and rice, then set it to simmer and over medium heat so that it boils slightly and cook for 15 or 20 minutes. In the meantime, mix several times with a wooden spoon, paying special attention to the bottom of the container, for which the milk starch content likes to stick very much.
Milk rice is cooked in a not exactly large pot.
After the above time, turn off the heat and leave the pot on a hot plate. Keep it covered.
Now the conclusion: while cooling, check the density of the plate several times and mix well. Since rice still “drinks” juices, we will now mix it in a deciliter of milk several times in a row – so the good will cool faster, and also become more creamy, really fine.
In summer, this tip can be helpful: transfer the rice with lukewarm milk to jars and store in the fridge. Just before serving, garnish the rice with a mix of summer fruits and the wonderful summer meal you can eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert is here!
Rice with summer milk
For 4 people.
- 0.7 or 0.8 dl of milk
- 200 gr rice (choose it for risotto and cakes, not basmati rice)
- 1 vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- fruit: cherries, currants, whatever wine we have…
1. Put 0.5 l of milk in the pot and let it boil. Add vanilla sugar and salt. Stir, add the rice. Attention: for this dish we need rice intended for risotto or cakes (sant ‘andrea, arborio …).
2. Stir and immediately reduce the heat – just simmer a little. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring vigorously in the middle.
3. Then turn off the plate, cover the pot and leave it on the plate off for about half an hour.
4. Stir the rice several times while cooling. He will drink plenty of fluids for half an hour – if we think the mass is too thick, mix a deciliter of milk two or three times while cooling. By adding milk we create a beautiful creamy texture. We work by feeling.
5. Arrange the lukewarm in jars. Cool, place in refrigerator.
6. Before serving the chilled dessert, add the summer fruits on top.