The funny thing is when you want to introduce to someone from another country what we eat here. At first, mash and potica come to mind, then I quickly correct myself that this is basically nobody’s, especially not every day. I think intensely about what we usually have in our dishes. Our visit listens with interest to the rough translations of the cuisine. Of course, I explain that I successfully veganize most of the daily dishes. Finally we choose buckwheat porridge for presentation. Good that he does not encourage! I make buckwheat porridge quite well, on top of it is left in the fridge a glass of sauerkraut, which should be consumed as soon as possible. Who else will eat sauerkraut when the summer starts, other than culinary visits that are quite far from our tradition.
Lunch was great and a good starting point to talk about their customs at the table. “Ah,” laughed our young guest from Belgium, “we have fries, chocolate and beer. Well waffles. Mostly chips, you can get them anywhere.” It turned out that fries, french fries, are a Belgian national and everyday dish that are also popular with young people.Unlike puree.In general, she rated their dishes as completely unhealthy and unimaginative, very tasty and Belgium is not in favor of vegans, she described the most common dish as, you know, steak and potatoes.Potatoes are usually fried, so fried? By no means, what the whole world knows as chips are of Belgian origin.Belgians have chips for themselves, a dish with coffee sauce, steak and chips, sorry, with frying, is considered a traditional Belgian dish.
I did a little research on how this works and came across a long-running dispute over the right of chips, from which the Belgians really benefit. Anyone who cooks, said the Belgian, has a potato cutter at home.
The next day we cooked in Flemish. We veganized the classic recipe with a meat substitute, everything else was according to the recipe. We cut the potatoes in the old way, with a knife. I really liked that part of the recipe that includes dark beer. From our pizza stock, I chose the strong unfiltered dark Starvation dark beer, Reservoir Dogs, which was created in Nova Gorica. You do not need a whole bottle for the recipe, what a sip left me. Already during cooking it became clear to me that the Belgian recipe is great for the first day of May. It would be a shame to lose. Beer and chocolate chips, for dessert chocolate, ideal for a May 1 picnic. We explain to the guests the importance of this holiday in our country, which surprises him a lot and he feels deep regret that it will not last until the official start of the picnics, ie on May 1st. The dish was excellent, supposedly only mayonnaise was missing.
We ended the international visit with pleasure; I got blush and she had a picnic break. We’ve had both before, but not in the right context.
Deloindom.si: Self-sufficient garden: With good planning for more crops
Fritters and side dish
- 4 potatoes
- 180 g vegetable substitute meat (tofu, tempeh or seitan)
- 250 g mushrooms (mushrooms, shiitake or mixed)
- spoons of mustard
- 3 slices of white bread
- thyme and rosemary (fresh herbs if possible)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- spoons of soy sauce
- 100 ml of dark beer
- 200 ml shoulder base (or shoulder water and spices)
- oil for baking or frying potatoes
1. Cut the potatoes into sticks and leave in the water. Cut the carrot into the same size as the potatoes, strong tofu (either tempeh or seitan) into pieces for a bite, mushroom caps into four, onions into slices. Spread the bread with the mustard. Peel and grate the herbs.
2. In a large skillet first fry the onions in oil, add the bread, mushrooms and carrots. When it starts to stick, toss in the soy sauce, beer and add the herbs. When it evaporates, add the tempeh and the base of the soup. Cook for about 15 minutes, the mass is carrots. The bread will melt and the sauce will set.
3. Shake the sliced potatoes in boiling salted water for three minutes, then cool in a colander. We tempt it in a greased pan and bake it in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for about 10 minutes or fry it in portions in high fat.